Click here to see how we got on with the

next part of our conversion

stage one

The first stage is to build the bed. I have a few requirements for this as this is no standard conversion. The car needs to go back to it's original state after the holiday so nothing can be a permanent fix. I want to be able to sell it after so I can have a holiday for cheaps! The material I use for the bed needs to flatpack down so I can take it in and out of the back whilst remaining lightweight as I don't want to add to the fuel bill at the end of the trip with an uneccessarily heavy load...Annnnnd one last catch; the build needs to be affordable. I hope with this trip I can break even and sell the car to cover the trip and the build. Hopefully my only expense will be fuel so watch this space.

Current spend on materials: £70

I did a bit of research to source the most suitable wood as I need something strong and fairly lightweight. I decided on plywood in the end and had a massive sheet of it cut to size for the top of the bed. I am sure there are better wood options out there, but this one was affordable.

Tim designed the base. He decided the legs should slip into a wooden plank base and be wedged with two blocks of wood for support.That way the legs can slip out should we need to flatpack the bed making it completely collapsable. The legs needed to raise the bed enough off the ground so I could store as much as possible underneath as I will be limited on space.

The plan will be to cut the bed top and add hinges to make it fold open making it easier to access and store things underneath. I didn't want too many legs interfering with storage space so I kept our design simple to allow for more room to keep our stove, clothes, cook wear etc.

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom

press to zoom
1/11